A Message from Architect Exam Prep about the Coronavirus (COVID-19)
We know this is a confusing time for everyone with lots of information, and misinformation, all being shared at the same time about this health epidemic. We also know that most of us are being asked to work from home, postpone conferences and meetings, and to limit travel to slow the spread of the virus.
The profession of Architecture is one that is bound in public service. Our primary responsibility as Architects is to ensure the public health, safety, & welfare. It is a responsibility that we take very seriously and shapes our response to the emergency facing our local and global communities.
With the increasing spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), we understand the concerns you might be having about your testing plan, your scheduled exams, and the uncertain future. As of this writing, Prometric has closed their testing centers through (at least) May 31st, and NCARB has generously allowed rescheduling of your exam appointments at no cost. When they do reopen, expect them to only be at 50% capacity to allow for proper social distancing. In addition, everyone will get time added to your Rolling Clock automatically. Since this announcement, we’ve received hundreds of questions from our candidates about what they should do.
Architect Exam Prep is actively monitoring all health advisories and industry announcements. When the testing centers reopen, there will be a backlog and appointments will be harder to get. The health and safety of all candidates is our top priority, and with through that lens, we make the following recommendations:
How to continue your progress toward licensure while still ensuring we keep everyone safe and healthy:
- Follow the CDC recommendations about COVID-19, including proper hygiene/hand washing, not touching your face, and practicing social distancing
- Maintain your existing exam appointments (after May 31st) only if you feel it will not increase your level of anxiety during the exam
- Stay home and reschedule if you are at all feeling ill or exhibiting symptoms of illness
- Bring Clorox Wipes (or similar) and hand sanitizer with you to the testing center (in a plastic bag or small containers)
- Choose your seat in the testing room away from others, if only to put you at ease
- Don’t reschedule your test simply because you were looking for an excuse to reschedule and “want more time to study”
- Use your time staying at home wisely by creating a disciplined study plan and sticking to it daily
- If you do reschedule, continue to take advantage of this time at home by studying regularly
- Continue to properly eat well, sleep well, and hydrate as you need to keep up our immune system
- Since our coaching is held online anyway, we will continue to hold all scheduled coaching sessions as planned
- Since your Rolling Clock has been extended, this is a great time to catch-up and study for your exams
We encourage all of you to stay vigilant during this time as we work through this together. We want to assure you that Architect Exam Prep is taking the necessary measures to stay healthy, positive, and supportive of all those we work with and will continue to provide the highest level of service.
Studying: You arent limited to study for only one exam at a time. The exam divisions aren’t separate silos. As we’ve found in our coaching, studying for another division will only help you other divisions. (e.g.: Jumping over to study PPD will only improve your score on PA or PDD.) Take advantage of this time and prepare for all six of your exams.
Exam Simulator Access: We also realize that with testing centers closed and reopening, many of you may be faced with the difficult decision to reschedule your test (either due to necessity or health concerns). If you want to pause your 30 day access, please email us firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to put your OMCES account on hold and restart you with a fresh 30 days when you are ready in the future. (Remember that the rest of your study materials have no expiration date, and you can and should continue studying.)
If you have any questions or concerns about your exams, you can always setup a free coaching call or online chat with us through our website at: architectexamprep.com
For more details on NCARB’s Rescheduling Policy for the Covid-19 epidemic, visit: https://www.ncarb.org/press/2020-coronavirus-update
David & Eric
Architect Exam Prep