Are you thinking about striking out on your own? Wondering what it’s like to work with clients?
Join Eric and I as we discuss how to foster successful relationships with clients.
Listen to the Audio
Click to Watch
- a. Be transparent about everything. deadlines, good news and bad,
- b. Show you are listening to them. Take notes, and highlight how their input shaped the design. Point out the things they asked for and use their needs and requests to talk through the design.
- c. Offer New and Creative Solutions to their problems and for their needs.
- d. It’s about them, not you. Don’t make it about “your vision” but about fulfilling their needs.
- e. Underpromise, and overdeliver. Say you’ll give them 2 schemes and provide 4. Don’t Overpromise ever. Hard when they pressure you. Be Honest in Setting Expectations. Show conviction and maintain integrity Trust is built on consistency
- f. Trust goes both ways. If you’ve done everything to earn their trust and they still don’t trust you, they have the problem.
- Couples argue, boards disagree.
- Sometimes your job will be as a marriage counselor.
- Be flexible. You may have a certain way of selecting fixtures, or insist on sticking to a certain style of meeting agenda, but clients are all unique. Know when
- Tell them when they are wrong.
- No, they can’t build a 5000 square foot house for $100k.
- No, you can’t avoid getting a building permit.
- No, you can’t use an unlicensed contractor (or some guys down at the U-haul parking lot).
Receive automatic updates when you subscribe below!
Please rate us on iTunes!
If you enjoyed the show, please rate it on iTunes and write a review. It would really help us spread the word about the ARE Podcast. Thanks!