Do I need to complete IDP before I can sit for the ARE?

So you wanna be a Rock Star. You’re ready to enroll in IDP AND start taking the Architect Registration Exam simultaneously. Bravo! But wait…

rock star4

Most candidates assume they must complete their IDP (Intern Development Program administered by NCARB) before they can sit for the Architect Registration Exam (ARE). But wouldn’t it be great if you could take the exam right out of school, while the lessons from structures and construction methods class are still fresh in your mind? Well, good news. You can, if you live in one of the States that allow it.

Being able to take your ARE exams while still completing your IDP is not a new idea. Since 2007, a whopping 40 states have allowed concurrent testing with IDP (another 2, Kentucky and Mississippi, will allow you to take the ARE after finishing a portion of your IDP.) The AIA even supports the idea, as shown in their August 2007 bulletin which you can review here.

So I know what you’re thinking: Which states allow it? Since 42 states allow you to take the ARE while still working on IDP, it’s easier to tell you the states that do not allow it.

The 8 states and 2 jurisdictions that require you complete IDP before taking the exams are:

Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Maine, Nevada, New Jersey, South Dakota

plus: Guam, Virgin Islands 

There are many advantages to taking the exams while still completing your IDP, including:

  1. The material is still fresh: if you recently graduated, it will be easier to stay in the mindset of studying, especially while the material is still fresh in your mind.
  2. Crossing the finish line sooner: rather than completing your IDP (which will take at least 3 years) and then starting the ARE process (average time to complete is around 2 years), you could shave off some time and finish everything within 3 years.
  3. Taking advantage of being entry level: the first few years of your architectural career are spent doing entry level stuff, such as CAD work, drafting, and research. What better time to focus on your career goals than now when you don’t have (much) responsibility at work?

Although this sounds great, there are some things to consider if you want to tackle finishing both the ARE and IDP at the same time:

  • Stress: Completing your IDP involves tracking your time, meeting with mentors and making sure you’re getting experience in all of the categories. That can be stressful enough without having to study and pass the exams too.
  • The dreaded rolling clock: NCARB’s 5-year rolling clock starts when you start taking the exams. While it’s nice to have that deadline to help “encourage” you to finish, you want to make sure you will be able to complete all seven ARE divisions before starting. As we like to tell people: Plan. Practice. Pass.

Be sure to visit NCARB’s website for more info on concurrent testing.

By |2019-01-21T18:39:34+00:00February 18th, 2014|Categories: IDP, NCARB|11 Comments

About the Author:

Eric Corey Freed
Eric Corey Freed, LEED AP, Hon. FIGP, is Principal of organicARCHITECT, an architecture and consulting firm in California, with 20 years of experience in green building. He is a licensed architect in California, Arizona and New Mexico.


  1. Avatar
    Karl July 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

    There are also a few other requirements to taking the ARE before completing IDP.
    1. You are a graduate of an NCARB ‘approved’ school. One that is accredited by NAAB.
    2. You must have a 5 year Bachelor of Science degree or 6 year Masters degree in Architecture from said schools.
    Non-Accredited school graduates, any 4 year Bachelor of Architecture degree holders and grandfathering via years of practice are not qualified for ARE until after IDP. And after successfully passing the ARE, these folks are not eligible for full NCARB reciprocity etc. At least thats the way it was as recently as 2012.

  2. David
    David July 15, 2014 at 9:37 am

    Thanks for the clarification Karl. It’ll be interesting to see what NCARB rolls out with the recent chatter about cutting down on IDP required hours.

    Thanks, David

  3. Avatar
    Ricky Vega April 13, 2015 at 4:49 pm

    Karl, about point number 2: Will a 3 year M. Arch with a 4 year BA in a non architectural background qualify me to start taking the AREs in California?

  4. David
    David April 14, 2015 at 9:56 am

    Hi Ricky,

    Best thing to do is contact the California Architects Board at (916) 574-7220 and speak to someone there about your situation. They are very helpful if you can get someone on the phone.

    Thanks, David

  5. Avatar
    Clayton April 15, 2015 at 12:52 pm

    Is the rolling clock at all related to finishing the IDP? For example, if I’m not earning hours at the moment and I were to finish the ARE is there any issue of its validity once I finish the IDP several years down the line?

  6. David
    David April 22, 2015 at 8:36 am

    Hi Clayton, IDP is undergoing some changes with hours being reduced in many states. Since IPD varies by state, I’d recommend contacting the State Board you are applying for licensure and asking them. Some states allow you to earn IDP and take the ARE simultaneously, while others require you to complete IDP before taking the ARE. Your State Board is the best one to contact for information about your specific situation. Hope that helps!

    Thanks, David

  7. Avatar
    Nicole June 23, 2015 at 5:31 pm

    I was wondering if it matters where I become licensed? Say if I get licensed in California compared to New York, does it make a difference? And is there a rolling clock for IDP? I am a first year MArch 1 student and I am earning hours for IDP this summer. I cant take ARE when I am still in school, right?



  8. David
    David July 9, 2015 at 1:20 pm

    Hi Nicole,

    It does matter and depends on where you plan on practicing. Each state’s Architect’s Board is the entity that actually grants you your license. So if you want to practice in New York, you need to be licensed by the New York Board. If you want to practice in California, you need to be licensed by the California Architects Board (and take the California Supplemental Exam You can not practice architecture in a state that you are not licensed.

    Hope that helps!

    Thanks, David

  9. Avatar
    lenna December 3, 2015 at 5:10 pm

    Hi David,
    I have a 4 year Architectural degree and plan on going back to grad school next fall. Could I start taking the A.R.E. exams while I’m enrolled in the M Arch. Program?
    Thank you,

  10. David
    David December 8, 2015 at 11:57 am

    Hi Lenna,

    It’s really going to depend on your specific state’s Architect’s Licensing Board. I recommend checking with them. We also just released a podcast about pursuing an architecture degree you might find helpful;

    Episode 22: So You Wanna Be An Architect? Here’s Your Roadmap

    Be sure to check it out.

    Good luck on your exciting journey!

  11. Avatar
    krishna August 1, 2018 at 1:30 pm

    I studies masters in arch (design) from NAAB Accredited school but after a couple of years of work in the states i moved to middle east. I havent logged in my hours yet but planning to take the ARE and start logging in the hours. Can i take the ARE before starting to log in the hours?
    I have changed a few firms meanwhile so what is the best way to log in the work experience .? any advise.

    thank you very much

Comments are closed.

About Architect Exam Prep LLC

We are two licensed architects who have a love for teaching and helping people get their license.  For the last decade, Architect Exam Prep has helped thousands of candidates pass their AREs through their fun and innovative study guides and coaching programs.

About the A.R.E.

The Architect Registration Examination® (ARE®) is an exam of 6 divisions used to assess your knowledge and skills regarding the practice of Architecture. Developed by NCARB, the exam is accepted by every state in the U.S. as a pathway to becoming a Licensed Architect.